Tuesday, June 4, 2024

MX-Linux Snapshot-tool compression-setting affects size of Snapshot AND size of resulting live installation

The MX-Linux Snapshot tool, which turns MX-Linux installations into ISOs which include all of the installation's settings and added software, has an option to select a level of compression from a menu of five levels. I ignored this setting until one of my Snapshots, which was made with the least amount of compression, was just slightly too large to fit onto a 4GB USB2 flash drive, which I like because they're cheap, they work well for this purpose, and they run cool, indicating low power consumption. But I assumed that there would be no point in compressing the Snapshot further, because I assumed that it would always end up being the same size when installed as a live installation. So I just installed it on a 16GB USB3 flash drive that I didn't need for anything else.

But because I'd have to buy a bunch of new flash drives for my system of backing-up data, ISOs, and installations, so that it could handle ISOs and live installations larger than 4GB, I decided that I shouldn't rule out the possibility that a higher level of compression would reduce the size of the live installation, and not just the size of the Snapshot in an ISO form.

So, I tried the zstd compression-setting, which reduced the size of the Snapshot, AND the size of live installations made from the Snapshot, to 3.1GB. The installation loads and runs as fast as the installations made from the 4.1GB Snapshot. As far as I can tell, the only drawback of using the zstd compression-setting is that it took a few minutes longer to create the Snapshot.